OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG I'm starting to freak out now!
I'm going to Blissdom 09 in just a few days and this is my first ever blog conference, the first time I'll meet ANY of my bloggy friends and blog idols in person, and the first time I've been away on a work (?) sort of thing in a loooooong time.
So yes, I'm a complete dork and already started my outfit list (and thank you everyone for your cocktail outfit votes!) and now have compiled a list of other things I think I should bring.
I'm hoping some of you more experienced bloggers and conference goers will weigh-in here.
Here's what I have so far:
1. Wine - wait, maybe that shouldn't be number one...makes me look like I have a problem. But I do, I'm nervous! OK, we'll take that off #1 and I'll buy it down there, but it's not leaving the list completely!
OK, start over
1. Laptop - because my faithful readers (all 2 of you) don't go on vacation just because I'm hanging with my blog peeps and getting all fabulous n stuff.
(Question - do people actually bring their 'puters to the sessions too?)
2. Business Cards - of course I don't have any but that isn't going to stop me. I've come up with a very creative if not handy little calling 'card' that I will reveal here:
This business card is actually a small envelope in which my fellow bloggers can store all the other cards they will be collecting. (Notice the Twofer stamp?) If you think it's hokey I don't really want to hear it because it took me a lot of time to make them and, well, at least it's memorable.
3. Mobile Phone - like this one:
not to stay in touch with my family you silly people, to do some LIVE Tweeting!
4. Snacks- I'm just one of those people that completely loses focus when I get hungry, so I'm planning to pack a few granola bars. (I will share so if you feel your blood sugar running low, c'mon over.)
5. Notebook- Because I will be meeting so many cool people and getting invited to participate in all kids of fabulous things, I better bring a notebook to jot everything down.
And here is where I really Geek'd out...I took a minute this morning to organize my notebook with an area for the schedule, people I meet, my questions/goals, and session notes. Plus, I put some paper clips and sticky tabs so I can highlight certain things if needed.
Again, I can take criticism, but at least I've put some thought into it.
6. Wine - is it appropriate to mention that now here?
7. A good book- because sadly enough the thought of waiting and waiting in an airport and on an airplane brings me a certain kind of joy. The kind of joy you just don't get unless you're used to two 5-year olds constantly asking you questions, whining about being hungry, arguing, and basically needing you.
8. People Magazine and Us Weekly - always a treat when I travel and always a great source for small talk. Plus, I'm going to use them for 'research' for a new writing role I may take on.
9. Lists - I am spending some much-needed money on this conference and to make sure I get the most out of it I better prepare all my burning questions for my blog idols. I also want to make a list of ideas I've had, and new projects I'm working on so that I remember where I'm looking to partner with someone.
10. _______________________You fill it in! Please leave me your #10 in a comment. Did I overlook something really obvious? What have you wished you had with you at a conference? If there's enough interest, I'm happy to compile the list and post it after the conference.
Thanks for your input and Blissdom 09 Here I come!
2 years ago