I know, I know. Crazy right?
A few weeks ago I bought a fire bowl thing for our back patio and tonight was the first fire!
L and M getting ready to burn things
Things that made me feel like Laura Ingalls Wilder:
1. We burned things.
2. We "cooked" s'mores over the fire (if you count chocolate in one hand, graham cracker in the other and a burnt 'shmallow in your mouth a s'more).
3. We told scary stories.
4. I saw 2 shooting stars.
Things that kept me from donning a bonnet and a hoopskirt:
1. The stories quickly turned silly and disgusting with lots of potty-mouth words that I'm sure Maw and Paw would not have put up with.
2. For the first time I heard the racket that the crickets, frogs, and whatever else that lives in my backyard make and I can't fathom how anyone gets to sleep when camping.
3. The glow from Mr. Scary's laptop was somewhat distracting, but hey - at least he was out there and managed to be part of the conversation!
4. The booming voice of the announcer and the faint cheer of the crowd at the local high school football game brought me back to reality quickly.
All in all it was quality time together and the fact that we all smell like roasted pork is a small price to pay when your kids go to bed saying "that was the best night ever".
Charred but smiling,