Still here? We've moved to a NEW Blog --> TwoferMom.com!

Twin Mom Blog
I've got a new home and would LOVE to invite you to join me there. Come to TwoferMom.com and see what good things I have in store for you!

Thursday, September 4, 2008

First we learn to ride a horse, then a bike.

We all knew it was in their blood. What with Mr. Scary's love of thoroughbreds and his occupation which often takes him and the Twofer to the track to visit, feed, and in general talk horses.
ScaryMom and M walking Dallas to the riding ring
(notice the fear in my gritted teeth?)

But was it asking too much to think my kids would learn to ride a 2-wheel bike before learning to ride a beast that weighs as much as a small car???
Apparently so.M riding Dallas like a pro

For years L & M knew that the horse center near us offered riding lessons starting at age 5. And for the past year and a half they have been counting down the days until they turned 5 and could take riding lessons. I successfully held them off through the summer, but come fall, there was no stopping them.

L holding Mozart
(and showing him who's boss)

What I didn't know is that there is a fair amount of parent participation in riding. Oh yes, see I am responsible for tacking up the horse (I don't even know if I used that term correctly). I have to secure the bridal, reigns, stirrups, and girth belt thingy that holds the saddle on. The girls are simply too short to do it right now, but they are supposed to learn by watching me every week. (So really, I'm paying over $300 per kid to learn how to be a ranch hand.)

However you can see that within the first 30 minute lesson, they learned to climb onto, as well as start, stop, turn, and otherwise "drive" their new friends named Dallas and Mozart. And I have to say they walked away with huge smiles, and feeling like they could rule the world...not that we need much more of that in our house but I guess it's good starting at a new school and all.




Giddyup Mozart. Ride 'em L!

Am I crazy to let them do this? Let me know by answering my poll in the column to the right.

I'll check results after I'm done mucking out the stalls.

ScaryMom

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

okay so here is my question...with Stew being the horse pro, why isnt he mucking the horses, or whatever the hell the right term is...

Unknown said...

How adorable! Loves to Bobble Head one and two! Aunt Sandy